Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Top 5 Things I've Learned from Opening an Etsy Shop




1. Reciprocity.

Spread the love. Show you appreciate others' work and it will usually come back around to you. The communal nature of Etsy is structured in a way that encourages this. The teams, forums, and online labs are great places for people to learn and encourage each other on their creative endeavors.



2. Etsians are awesome people.

Recently I was a victim of a sneak attack, where virtual strangers attacked my shop with love. They purchased some of my items, liked my Facebook page, favorited my shop and items, and even followed me on Twitter. It was just the encouragement I needed to keep on going and it came from a group of Etsians I had never even met! And it was purely out of their desire to encourage newbies like myself to continue creating and dreaming.

3. Focus on what makes you unique.

Stay focused on your work and what is special about it and its sure to improve and evolve into something that stands out from the pack. And it will be uniquely yours!!

4. If you can dream it or design it, dare yourself to just do it!!!!

Some ideas, let's face it, are crazy. But you have to try the crazy ideas to find your way to the brilliant ones. One thing I have definitely learned from Etsy is that nothing is too crazy to try selling. If you find it mesmerizing, chances are someone else will too!

5. Patience.

Every shop will not be an overnight success. Sometimes it takes a while to find the right group of customers for your shop or the right mix of products. I've learned to have patience and celebrate each little victory as it comes.

No comments:

Post a Comment