Saturday, May 11, 2013

Note to Self: Relax

Last week was pretty stressful around here and it got me to thinking...how do other people cope with stress? What are their go-to stress relievers? So I thought I'd compose a list of things I find myself doing to cope with stress...some good/ some flat out wrong. Just trying to be honest folks!


1. Mindless Web Surfing. 

A little Pinterest, a little blog reading, and some Facebook time helps me to look outside myself and current situation and gets my mind on other things. 


2. Stuffing my face with cinnamon rolls. 

They have to be the Pillsbury kind! I think there is something comforting about these in particular cause it reminds me of being a kid. Just let me say though, I don't condone stress or emotional eating, but it is my philosophy that indulging every now and then will actually help you stay on track with your healthier eating. Sometimes you just need a cinnamon roll. Or three. ;)


3. Drinking Tea. 

A little healthier choice. Haha. There's something about drinking hot tea that can be really relaxing. I like chamomile and peppermint tea, but my favorite is probably Tazo's green ginger tea. It has a touch of pear that is a little sweet and rounds out the ginger. Mmmm....delicious. 




4. Chilling on the porch swing.

Buying a swing for our front porch was one of the best purchases I've ever made. It can calm both me and Luci down like nothing else. Luci mellows out whenever we go outside to swing and the fresh air really relaxes me too. It's a great spot to take in the outdoors and reflect on the day. 




5. Talking it out. 

It helps a lot to just vent a little! Thank God for my husband and my family. They will drop anything when I call to unload. Usually I just jump right in with no warning....they'll say, "Hello?, " and I'll say, "So.....get this...." I don't know what I'd do without them!!! 


6. Reading

Reading is always a great way to relax for me. Although, it really matters what kind of reading it is. I don't suggest reading the news when you're stressed. It will only stress you out more!!! I like lighter fare like magazines and fiction. The Bible is really great too when I need encouragement and always lifts my mood. It helps me remember that there is a bigger story unfolding around me. 



"God is our refuge and strength, 

an ever-present help in trouble."  Psalm 46:1 



Luckily, this week got much better as I celebrated my 28th birthday this past Monday with my family and friends. We had everyone over for BBQ and had such a fun time. I'll be posting about it soon! Until then I hope you stay stress free. I'd love to hear any fun or crazy things you do to relieve stress, though. Drop me a line or leave a comment below. 



No comments:

Post a Comment